Log in

No account? Create an account
[PRE-OP] SLEEP STUDY - POLYSOMNOGRAPHY - And then you're someone you are not . . . [entries|archive|friends|userinfo]
And then you're someone you are not . . .

[ userinfo | livejournal userinfo ]
[ archive | journal archive ]

[PRE-OP] SLEEP STUDY - POLYSOMNOGRAPHY [Jul. 29th, 2007|11:12 am]
And then you're someone you are not . . .


[Tags|, , , ]
[mood |okayokay]
[music |Depeche Mode - Black Celebration]

Wow, it ended up being an extremely busy month! I haven't updated since June 28th, but thought I'd debrief the masses on my progress thus far.

On July 13-14 I completed my sleep study.

SLEEP STUDY: I completed an overnight sleep study, also known as a polysomnography, at a firm called SleepWorks, Inc., which is housed in North Suburban Medical Center in Thornton, Colorado. I was checked in by a spritely octogenarian named Lois, and then this guy with awesome hair came to escort me up to the fourth floor. We rode up in the elevator silently, but then I noticed he had this tattooed on his inner arm.

ME: You have the Sisters of Mercy on your arm :D
ME: Not a lot of people know, right?
HIM: Definitely not.
ME: *bonds*
HIM: *pats*

So, I named him Dominion, although I honestly think his name might have been Larry. Larry, Dominion . . . whateverz! He was very kind to me and very careful as he hooked me up to, seriously, like 25 probity-probes and electrodes/wires. The wires went on my feet, upper calves, behind my knees, on my chest, on my back, and all around my eyes and throughout my hair. He thoroughly informed me of the test procedures and indicated if any of my rythms indicated apnea that he would come in and try me on the CPAP machine. I read for about an hour after Dominion had me all hooked up -- yeah, I did have a hard time falling asleep, even though the bed was quite nice and definitely comfortable. I slept like crap the first half of the night, waking frequently with restless and achy legs and drenched in sweat (which is common for me). Around 1:00 a.m., I'd guesstimate, Dominion came in and said, "Let's try you on the CPAP machine," and helped me to put on the mask as I was kind of half-awake. I fell back asleep, and then suddenly Dominion was there, waking me up and telling me that the test was completed!

I haven't had such a good rest in years. I made it home by 5:30 a.m. and by noon I had 1) not had to go back to sleep and 2) had scrubbed down and cleaned my kitchen so thoroughly that you could eat off the floor, and proceeded to wash, dry and fold 10 loads of laundry. I didn't go back to sleep until bedtime, which was like 11:30 p.m.

So, of course I have obstructive sleep apnea. Dominion let me know that my sleep patterns were very normal while I was wearing the CPAP mask, but very disrupted without. More on CPAP in my post on my meeting with the pulmonary doctor.

Interestingly enough -- and unrelated to my own condition -- I noted that sleep apnea is very common in people who have had Pharyngeal flap surgery. My daughter had velopharyngeal flap repair surgery as part of her treatment for Velocardiofacial Syndrome. I will have to watch out for sleep apnea with her.